Monday, August 1, 2011

The Weekend with (Almost) No Work! 7/30/2011 - 8/1/2011

Saturday 7/30/2011
It started out like any other Saturday (that we are not working the LaGrange Farmer's Market), trying to catch that extra 5 minutes of sleep.  Joe and I take turns, he sleeps in on Saturday and myself on Sunday, barring no previous engagements, like today when Joe too needs to wake up early.  He has taken on a small side job doing some electrical work.

I busied myself making breakfast and Joe got his things together for the job ahead and left shortly thereafter.  I sat down to look at my schedule and realize that I did not need to start preparing food for catering until later in the afternoon.  Rather than rush out to the farm, only to have to go back out later, I decided to write my list but then relax and read my book.  I planned to go later to the farm and the store in perfect time to get back and cook before having to getting us all ready to attend the party ourselves.

Well, best laid plans right!  While I am writing my 'to-pick up/buy' list I am interrupted by Joe's call, who needed me drive to the City of Poughkeepsie to bring him the cash, that he forgot, to pay for his supplies for the side job...NOW!  So of course I had to rush the kids to get dressed and try to get ready myself (though in hindsight my pajamas would have been more presentable then what I managed to throw together.)  I was able to make it to the store before they closed, with approximately 3 minutes to spare.  At that point decided to go straight to the farm as it made no sense whatsoever to go all the way home, and then have to drive back in that direction.  I was in a huff and did not have my bags or my list; I hate being rushed, and even more so, un-prepared.

Regardless, the farm had a beautiful harvest and the kids enjoyed helping to pick out watermelon and cantaloupe, which they helped carry, as well as Japanese eggplant and tomatoes (yum!)

After heading back home the kids took a quick swim before a nice nap (so thankful they still nap.)  Meanwhile, monitor in hand, I baked and grilled and made all of the food to get the party platters out, which Joe came home just in time to deliver.  Then it was get ready, get dressed, go...to the party.

Sunday 7/31/2011
The rest of our weekend was spent enjoying MusicFest with our wonderful and talented friends as well as a delicious Sunday morning brunch in Ct. followed by an afternoon at the aquarium, which we all enjoyed thoroughly.  Joe even took the night off work so that we did not have to rush back home, though we still got home in time for a swim.  It was a beautiful day, though I am not used to having Joe home with me Sunday night and I think it threw me off a bit.  He fell asleep on the couch while I read my book and I was supposed to wake him up...supposed to do some baking in between finalizing this weeks menu and watch a movie with him...but again, best laid plans right! 

Monday 8/1/2011
We both woke up around 5am... on the couch.  We looked at the time, 5 am and basically rolled over and went right back to sleep :-)  At 7am it was business as usual, getting the kids up, dressed and fed and off to pre-school/camp.  Getting the trailer ready and doing all the cooking that I should have started the night before...but it got done none the less.

Joe pulled out of the driveway a little later than he likes to, but that's not really that far from the norm.  Businesses was unusually slow today as Monday lunchtime is normally non-stop but today we were able to sit outside for a long uninterrupted lunch with a very good friend/customer (thank you for your company, if your reading this!)

It is late afternoon now and I am just catching up on my blog among other administrative things.  Joe has Anthony at home, playing (jealous!) as it's slow and very humid on the truck.  Around 5:30pm he will swing by the library.  After picking up Angelo we will close 6pm, a bit early, so that he can attend his Monthly firehouse meeting, regretfully for the first time in a few months. After that, I cannot predict, but I am sure I'll tell you all about it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment