Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dirty vs. Kettle

We are currently interviewing, rather comparing, new products for our spring Re-Opening.  I am sitting here with a bag of Kettle Brand Sea Salt Potato Chips and a bag of Dirty Brand Sea Salted Potato Chips. Before I start yumming it up lets compare the facts...



dirty kettle
calories 300 300
fat 16 18
(sat) 3 2
(trans) 0 0
sodium 170 230
carbohydrates 34 31
(dietary fiber) 2 3
protein 4 4
 
Some other facts to consider:  both brands are 'natural,' gluten free, no artificial flavors or colors, no preservatives and no msg.  A big difference is the oil they use. Kettle Brand uses Vegetable Oil (safflower and/or Sunflower) while Dirty Brand uses Peanut Oil or a blend of peanut oil and canola, corn, safflower or sunflower.

Now for taste (my favorite part, of course)

Dirty chips are very crispy, but not overly to the point it hurts going down your throat.  They seem to have consistent flavor, chip to chip, however when I eat a "Sea Salted" flavor chip I really want to taste the salt and I am left a little disappointed here.

Kettle chips have much better salt flavor, well not 'better' but more pronounced (which I like; who doesn't like salt?)  They are a little oily compared to the Dirty chips. They are also very crispy, almost too crispy...almost, but not quite. One thing I notice is a weird aftertaste, the taste also reminds me of peeling potatoes so I am thinking I may be tasting some of the fried skins. 

Down to business, if I had to buy a bag, which would I buy? Well, it's not that simple.  If I had to buy a bag for myself, and all I wanted was a Sea Salt Chip, I would go with the Kettle Chips because of the better salt flavor.  However, I am not sure if 'salt' was not a factor which I would choose.  Also, considering that I am looking at this product for mass appeal, I am concerned that the Dirty chips use peanut oil and considering RaeRae's caters to a wide range of dietary lifestyles, where food allergies are a big concern, I am confident that Kettle chips are the winner...

Say tuned for round 2!  Kettle & Dirty chips aren't the only other 'natural' chip out there...lots more tasting to be done before a final selection is made.  Anyone have any brands that they'd like to nominate for the challenge?

3 comments:

  1. Do you have regular potato chips? I like baked Lays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We currently only have fresh cut fries, which we cut and fry when you order them. We will be expanding our offering with chips and popcorn in the spring. We are currently in the testing, tasting and comparing phase! We have not yet approached baked chips, still working on kettle cooked. I will keep you posted as the journey continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow -- I love the research! my mom read an article awhile back and told me that some people are "super tasters." super tasters are people who have more taste buds than others and are really good at discerning flavors. i think that's probably what you got going on!!!

    ReplyDelete